Sunday, November 26, 2006

Sigh

Ya Allah, frustrating nya!!!

I was at a shopping centre earlier and had to walk up and down the foyer a couple of times coz I tend to get lost very easily anywhere anyway, but then I started to notice that three different sound system blared across the whole stretch of the foyer, playing three different songs, simultaneously.

And here is where my frustration built up:

The first sound system was playing 'Jujur' by Radja and the second was playing a Peter Pan song. Now although these songs are great and the bands, talented, I find it difficult to accept that Malaysian songs,in Malaysia, played/sung by Malaysian bands do not get as much airtime compared to the Indonesian bands.

Cause and effect: play Malaysian songs on air, (on radio stations, in shopping malls, etc.), they get recognition, people start to enjoy them for what they are (which is great music!), and thus Malaysian songs get played even MORE on air.

Do the same with Indonesian songs and you get the same results. But why do we need to do that when our songs are just as good, our bands/singers are just as talented (some even more so)?

The third sound system played a Christmas song (okay fine, I understand, you want people to get in the spirit of Christmas, bla bla, bla, or maybe the management of the shopping centre wanted mat salehs to feel 'at home' or something-which is kind of stupid, cause if you go overseas, they won't celebrate Raya as festive as we celebrate Christmas, so why do we need to do that???-but okay, takpe, I'll let that one slip), but here's where I had to take a long breather: the song they played had the following lyrics booming in and all around the third end of the foyer: "...praise Jesus, our Lord..."

These words were played repeatedly as they were part of the chorus (very convenient)!

And little kids were mouthing these exact words, without actually comprehending the meaning!

I was, and still am, speechless.

And what got me even more frustrated was the fact that when I went to comment to the management of the monstrosity of the effect the music they were playing for their customers had to the Malaysian people, all they could muster in response to my disappointment was to ignore the point totally but (tried to) encourage empathy in the lack of cds they were given to play! Apparently, these were the three cds they had and so these had to be played on and on and on in a loop, repeatedly, the whole day long!

Should I just give up?

1 comment:

Amiruddin Karim said...

Chait.. cakap orang.. You too need updates..